Monday, June 8, 2009

What I Saw (and ate) at the Drexel Theater

I went to see American Harmony last night at the Drexel Theater in Bexley. I knew it would be a good night when I saw the Drexel Radio Cafe next door. When I discovered they served crème brûlée cheese cake..... Oh, What a Night! I had a piece and was ready to watch the movie. They even had a senior's price. What a deal! There weren't very many people in the theater; 30 at most. And most of us had gray hair. There was a row of young folks in front of me, however. So there may be hope for the Society yet.

The movie started with a little historical footage showing the origins of the Society for Preservation and Encouragement of Barber Shop Quartet Singing in America (SPEBSQSA). And as the promo for the movie says:


It follows the lives of some of the biggest names to emerge from international competition in the Society’s history, as well as interviews with rank-and-file members, called “Joe Barbershoppers.” The film features four prominent Society quartets – OC Times, Max Q, Vocal Spectrum, and Reveille – over a span of years, on stage and at home, in their personal quests for international recognition as they experience the thrill of victory, and the agony of not quite making it.



So, my assessment is that the quartet I'm part of has a bit of practicing to do if we even want to hold the water bottles for any of the top 50 Society quartets. It was a great movie. Go see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment